Inhalt des Dokuments
Regulations for the Allocation and Use of Rooms and Storage Facilities (Room Regulations)
Regulations for the Allocation and Use of Rooms and Storage Facilities at the University Libraries of Technische Universität Berlin and the Berlin University of the Arts in the Volkswagen-Haus and at the Department Libraries of TU Berlin's University Library
(Last update: 12 July 2017)
- I. Rooms
- 1. Single study rooms (carrels)
- 2. Group study rooms at the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus
- II. Storage facilities
- 1. Lockable book storage trolley
- 2. Book lockers
- 3. Media lockers at the Media Library of the Universität der Künste
- 4. Long-term lockers
- 5. Daytime lockers
- III. General provisions on rooms and storage facilities
- IV. Schlussbestimmungen
The users of study rooms may bring and use technical working equipment such as notebooks and the like; however, they may not bring or use coffee machines, water boilers or appliances for similar purposes.
If a study room is not vacated punctually at the end of the authorized period of use, the University Libraries are entitled to clear the room.
- Single study rooms (carrels)
- At the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus
- Single study rooms are available at the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus to students of TU Berlin and the Berlin University of the Arts (UdK) for the purpose of writing their final theses (evidence for which must be provided when picking up the key for the first time).
- Keys are signed out and signed in at the Information Center on the second floor of the University Library in the Volkswagen-Haus. Keys must be collected and returned each day.
- Single study rooms will only be allocated to one person per semester following written acknowledgment of these Regulations. A further person may be permitted by the authorized user to use the room jointly. The provisions of Paragraph 1 apply to the room’s second authorized user.
- Rooms are allocated following written acknowledgment of these Regulations.
- Applications for use must be made to TU Berlin’s Main Department Management for User Services via the University Library’s web pages. The application must be submitted no later than two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester and will only be valid for one semester. In the event that the number of applications exceeds the number of single study rooms available, the rooms will be allocated by means of a lottery. There is no waiting list. If a single study room becomes available before the end of a particular semester, it will be re-allocated to one of the existing applicants in that semester by means of a lottery.
- In the event that a carrel is not used for a period of seven successive days without due reason, the right of use may be revoked. If the period of absence exceeds four weeks, the carrel must be vacated.
- Up to ten media items from the University Libraries’ reference collection may be stored in the study room. However, they must be removed from the study room each day when leaving the library. The same applies to media items from the circulating collection. If these media items are to be used for a longer period, they must be borrowed in accordance with the regulations.
- At the Physics Department Library
- Single study rooms at the Physics Department Library are available to students who hold a valid library card and wish to use the room for academic work. Preference is given to students of TU Berlin.
- Keys are signed in and signed out at the circulation desk of the Physics Department Library. Keys must be collected and returned each day.
- A single study room will only be allocated to one person for a period of two months following written acknowledgment of these Regulations. A further person may be permitted by the authorized holder to use the room jointly. The provisions of Paragraph 1 apply to the second authorized person.
- Applications for use must be made online via the web pages of the Physics Department Library. Reservations are possible. In the event that the number of applications exceeds the number of single study rooms available, students of TU Berlin will be prioritized, in particular those students who are currently writing academic theses (evidence for which must be provided when picking up the key for the first time).
- In the event that a study room is not used for a period of seven successive days without due reason, the right of use may be revoked. If the period of absence exceeds four weeks, the carrel must be vacated.
- Up to ten media items from the Physics Department Library’s reference collection may be stored in the study room. However, they must be removed from the study room each day when leaving the library. The same applies to media items from the circulating collection. If these media items are to be used for a longer period, they must be borrowed in accordance with the regulations.
- Group study rooms at the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus
- Group study rooms (first to fourth floor)
- Group rooms and Workbays are preferentially allocated to students of TU Berlin or UdK holding a valid library card (TU Berlin students: student ID card).
Reservation/allocation is possible for groups of at least two and no more than eight persons for a period of no more than four hours per day for no more than three days per week. Study rooms for small groups are allocated to groups consisting of no fewer than two and no more than four persons.
- Online reservations must be made independently by two students of TU Berlin and/or UdK. A reservation will be deemed to have lapsed if the room is not claimed within 30 minutes after the reservation was due to begin.
- The small group room 212h may be used for short periods and without application by disabled students who wish to work with a caregiver; the rules contained in Paragraph 1 apply. In such cases, other users are obliged to vacate the room, even if they have made reservations.
- Up to ten media items from the University Libraries’ reference collection may be stored in the study room. They must be removed when leaving the room. Media items that are still in the group study rooms on the next working day will be cleared by the library staff and returned to their locations.
- AV group room (fourth floor)
- The AV group room is available to members of TU Berlin and UdK Mondays to Fridays from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Groups of at least three and no more than 16 persons may use the AV group room for no more than four hours per day for the purpose of the non-public viewing of audiovisual media related to science, research and teaching at TU Berlin and UdK.
- For copyright reasons, only audiovisual media items from our collections that have been purchased may be used by members of TU Berlin at the multi-user workstations.
- Audiovisual media items from external or private collections may only be used if they have been created as part of the studies or if they are required for study purposes. Any other use of such audiovisual media items is not permitted.
- Prior to using the AV group room, one member of the group must be named who must undertake in writing to ensure compliance with all copyright regulations and the appropriate use of the equipment. This person is also responsible for the appropriate behavior of the group in the AV group room and must, in particular, ensure that noise is kept to a level that does not disturb other library users.
- After the responsible person has provided the necessary signature, the Media Library staff will unlock the AV group room for the registered group. The Media Library staff must be notified immediately when the group vacates the room so that it may be locked.
Any damage to equipment must be reported without delay at the Media Library.
- In the event that the group should fail to appear at the Media Library within 30 minutes of the start of the reservation, the appointment will be deemed to have lapsed.
- Parent-Child-Room (first floor)
- The room is furnished to provide parents and their children (see I.1.1. (1)) with a workspace. It may be used by no more than two parent-child groups at the same time. Reservation is possible. The daily usage time per group may be limited to no more than six hours per day for no more than three successive days. Registration is possible in the Information Center, where keys will be signed out.
- The University Library staff neither takes care of, nor chaperones, children.
- After use, the room must be cleared and left in a tidy condition.
- Usage is at the users’ own risk. The University Library is not liable. Parents are responsible for their children.
- When the room is not being used by parent-child groups, it will be allocated with restrictions as a group study room according to I.1.1. (1).
II. Storage facilities
Only privately owned and borrowed media items may be stored in the facilities; only such audiovisual media items that have been borrowed for external use may be stored in the UdK media lockers. The latter must be placed in the book storage trolleys, book lockers and media lockers in such a way that their origin from TU Berlin's or UdK’s library collections is clearly visible from the outside. The spine of the media items must be visible.
Students may borrow keys for the book storage trolleys and book lockers as well as for the long-term lockers in the same way as for other media items. If a key is not returned on time, an overdue notice subject to charge will be sent to the user (see Section 5 of the Scale of Charges). If the key is not returned after the third overdue notice, the libraries are entitled to clear the storage facility. For media lockers at the Media Library the provisions under Section 3 apply.
1. Lockable book storage trolley
At the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus and at TU Berlin’s Architecture Department Library and Physics Department Library students of TU Berlin and UdK may borrow lockable book storage trolleys for a period of two months. Reservations are possible. The book storage trolleys may be reserved, picked up and returned at the information desk on the third floor or at the circulation desk of the responsible Department Library.
2. Book lockers
At the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus and at TU Berlin’s Physics Department Library book lockers are available to all users holding a valid library card. The book lockers are allocated for four weeks. Reservations and renewals are not possible. Keys for book lockers on floors 1 to 4 are handed out and returned at the responsible information desk, those for the basement floor at the circulation desk and those for the Physics Department Library at the issue desk on site.
3. Media lockers at the Media Library of the Universität der Künste
All library users holding a valid library card who are authorized to borrow audiovisual media items for external use may borrow a media locker at the UdK’s Media Library for the purpose of storing audiovisual media items. The media lockers are allocated for one week. Keys are handed out and returned at the Media Library desk and will be kept there during the period of loan and only handed out on a daily basis as required. If a key is not returned on time before the Media Library closes, the user’s account will be locked until the key has been returned (see Section 19 of the Framework Regulations for Library Use). If the media items stored in the media lockers are not returned after the third overdue notice, the libraries are entitled to clear the lockers.
4. Long-term lockers
At the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus long-term lockers are available to students of Berlin/Brandenburg institutions of higher education against a usage fee of 5 EUR per month. If lockers are used for longer periods, fees are reduced to 12 EUR for three months or 20 EUR for six months. Reservations and renewals are not possible. Keys are handed out and returned at the circulation desk (Mon-Fri 09:00–18:00, Sat 10:00–13:00 and 14:00-18:00).
The storage of food is prohibited.
5. Daytime lockers
Daytime lockers may only be used during the opening hours of the libraries.
1. At the University Libraries in the Volkswagen-Haus
The daytime lockers are equipped with cabinet locks. Meaning:
- users are required to bring their own padlocks and use them to close their lockers. The U-bolt must have a diameter of at least 5mm and no more than 6mm.
- Closed lockers will be opened and, if necessary, cleared after the libraries have closed at 22:00 respectively at 18:00 on Saturdays. The cost of the resulting damage to the padlocks will not be refunded by the libraries.
- In the event of locker keys being lost or accidentally locked in the locker, the lockers in question can be opened on request by the Security Service. For this purpose, personal information and a precise description of the locker’s content must be provided. In the event of the wrong locker being opened, the person who requested its opening will be liable for damages as well as for any legal consequences that may follow.
- The Security Service is responsible for all matters and issues related to the usage of the lockers and takes all of the necessary decisions.
- Keys for lockers to store musical instruments are handed out by the Security Service against the deposit of an ID card (student ID card, driver's license or the like).
2. At the Department Libraries
- At the Architecture Department Library and the Physics Department Library coin-operated lockers (for one-euro and two-euro coins) with coin return are available. Other coins or trolley tokens may not be used.
- The library staff must be notified of any lost keys or closing malfunctions.
- If a locker is cleared out by the library staff, the deposit will be retained for the benefit of the library budget.
III. General provisions on rooms and storage facilities
- The service is free of charge (exception: long-term lockers).
- The University Libraries assume no liability for items of any kind that users have brought into the study rooms or lockers.
- It is not permitted to use more than one storage facility of the same category simultaneously. It is prohibited to store hazardous or health-impairing substances or items in the lockers or rooms.
- Any food brought in contrary to the regulations will be immediately disposed of and the user cannot make any claim for a refund.
- In principle, the right of use is not transferable to third parties (exception: carrels, see I.1.1 (3) or I.1.2 (3)).
- The registered users are liable for any damage resulting from the usage; with regard to the group study rooms, where several persons are involved, the person who signed for responsibility will be liable for any damage.
- The University Library staff is at all times entitled to check whether these Regulations are being complied with. If any violation is detected, a room or locker may be cleared out and/or the right of use revoked; if applicable, damages must be paid. The right of use may also be revoked if the Framework Regulations for the Use of the Libraries and Documentation Centers at Technische Universität Berlin and the Berlin University of the Arts, as amended from time to time, are violated or if the user account is locked.
- In the event that a locker must be cleared out by library staff or a key has been lost, the user will be invoiced for the cost of a new lock together with a processing fee of 5 euros.
- All provisions of the Regulations of Use and the Scale of Charges apply mutatis mutandis.
Darüber hinaus gilt die Neufassung der Bestimmungen des TU-Präsidenten über die zeitweilige Überlassung von Räumen und Flächen der Technischen Universität Berlin (Vergabebestimmungen-Räume) in der jeweils gültigen Fassung entsprechend.