The TU Library system is made up of the Central Library (Zentralbibliothek or "ZB") and five department libraries. It gives you access to more than 2.2 million printed books and digital items pertaining to all subjects taught at the University. Collections are especially strong in science and technology, the social sciences, humanities, architecture and environmental studies. Basic holdings for other subjects are available. The TU University Library also supports access to a worldwide range of printed and electronic information resources.
The TU Library serves the TU academic staff, students and alumni and is also open to the interested general public.
Holdings: 2.9 million volumes
Current journals: 4800
Registered users: 30.300
The library was established soon after the foundation of the Technische Hochschule Berlin and from 1884 until 2004 has been located in the university's main building (Hauptgebäude). During World War II, almost the entire collection of 250,000 volumes was destroyed and had to be completely replaced.
In 2004 the TU Main Library and several department libraries were joined to form the new Zentralbibliothek (Central Library) which opened in October 2004 in the newly constructed library building in Fasanenstraße. The Building was named "Volkswagen-Haus" as Volkswagen AG contributed EURO 5 million to its construction costs. Apart from the collections of the TU Central Library this building houses the Library of the University of the Arts (UdK).