Inhalt des Dokuments
Borrowing, Renewing and Returning
If you want to check out books you will need a library card ("Bibliotheksausweis").
At the Loan Department you can pick up your interlibrary loans and AV media as well as library cards that you have applied for. All other items can be checked out at the Self-Issue Machines.
Items requested from the Closed Stacks can also be collected at the Self-service collection area in the Circulation Department. Here you can find all items requested from the closed stacks as well as all reserved items when they are ready for loan.
Loan period in the Central Library is 4 weeks. Reference materials (marked by a red dot on the book spine), journals and rare books are not for loan.
|Which type of item?||How long?|
|Books||4 weeks (except reference material)
TU / UdK students and external users: max. 50 items at the same time
|Periodicals (single issues and bound volumes)||not for loan|
|'Short loan' for reference material||Ask for permission at information desks: Check out no earlier than 2 hours before closing time at the circulation desk, return next opening day until 12:00.|
|Media in department libraries||Physics Department Library: Short loan: check out 2 hours before closing time, return next opening day until 10:00. Otherwise, above mentioned rules apply.
Architecture Department Library: The loan period is 14 days. Exception: Text book collection items keep the loan period of 28 days.
You can extend your loan periods as often as you like until the maximum loan period is reached. Extension is possible
by e-mail: leihstelle(at)ub.tu-berlin.de
You will not be able to renew items in case
- items been reserved by another user.
- the maximum loan period has been reached. For a new loan, the item must be presented at the Circulation Desk
- your library card has expired
- items which have been ordered via interlibrary loan.
- your library account has been blocked.
Reminder Email Notices
- Shortly before the loan period expires, you will receive a free reminder by e-mail. If your e-mail address has changed, please send a short message to leihstelle(at)ub.tu-berlin.de.
- However we advise you to check your due dates regularly. Non-receipt of a reminder notice will not constitute grounds for waiving of fines.
- Items can be returned via the self-return machine in the foyer of the Central Library. Upon request, the machine will print out a return receipt.
- Interlibrary loans, AV items and books that the machine does not recognize should be returned at the return box. This is located directly to the left of the self-return machine. The return booking will be made promptly and you will then receive a receipt by e-mail.
- Items from the Department and Special Libraries should be returned directly to the place where they were borrowed. Alternatively, they can be returned at the self-return machine or at the return box at the Central Library during opening hours.
- You can also return all items by mail. The return date is the date of the return transaction. The borrower bears the risk (see §16, para. 3 Rahmenbenutzungsordnung).
The postal address for the return shipment is:
Technische Universität Berlin
zu Händen Leihstelle